Friday 11 January 2013

HELLO FROM EARTH

The galactic plane or central disk of our own galaxy, the Milky Way.
Hello and welcome to my new blog about the universe and everything in it. My name is Alvin and I hope you will be educated, fascinated and entertained on my blog as I share all the wondrous things in our universe that make me excited and drooly (if there's such a word).

A little about me. I was born a year after Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon and left his footprint there. After that momentous event, I think the whole world opened its collective eyes towards the cosmos, the heavens, that wide black space above our heads.

I have always been interested in science and cosmology, science fiction and fantasy, Star Wars and Star Trek, the world around me as it was explained by science. Everything had a reason, a purpose. And everything is connected to everything else.

I love to watch a good sci-fi movie, the more twisted but realistic the plot, the better. I usually play back the movie in my head for hours afterwards, asking all sorts of questions. What if? How is that possible? Where did that come from?

And so it is with this blog I wanted to share my interest in the universe around me with all of you. There are some profoundly wondrous things in our universe that you could never have imagined. And yet it has existed for billions of years. Billions of years? Are you kidding me? How does that information pay my bills?

It doesn't, does it? But it does make you wonder. Not whether it will pay your bills of course, silly! Knowing about the universe will make you think about your purpose in it, how small you are. There are so many things in the universe that is so awesome that you will wonder how you managed to survive in it at all! Things like gravity, oxygen, carbon, speed of light, rotation, position, distance, composition, maybe even luck.

So, get ready for a journey of discovery as I will do my best to share with you all the things that have kept me awake at night and made me question my very existence with you. Hopefully, you will realise your place in this universe and where you are heading. It's not all scientific mumbo-jumbo, there are profound philosophical and religious enlightenment to be found.

So Read! Acquire knowledge! And be blown away by the universe that you already live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment